The Original Nave
The original nave was built of Texas limestone in 1949 by the construction company owned by charter member Severin Knutson. Read more . . .
The Current Nave
By the early 1980s our congregation had outgrown the original nave and the early success of the Bach Society concerts indicated that an appropriate venue was important for that program. Read more . . .
The Ministry and Administrative Building
In 2003 Christ the King Church increased by five-fold the space of its 1955 ministry and administration building. Without changing locations or purchasing new land, the congregation constructed a new building with a basement and three floors above ground.
The baptismal font was dedicated to the glory of God and in memory of Patty Stone on Pentecost Sunday, May 27, 2012. The font was designed by Jordan Wanner and manufactured by Wanner Studios of Milwaukee. Architects and members Robert Hoover and Walter Murphy guided the process of planning and installing the font. Council member Lee Thweat chaired the font committee. Other members included Jill Bailer, Meredith Moore, Lucky Sahualla, Mark Mummert, Pastor Robert Moore, and Pastor Karin Liebster.
The church bell tower and three of its five bells were a gift to the congregation by charter church members Severin and Louise Knutson. The three bells were installed in 1986 in the tower designed by architect Charles Tapley. They were rung for the first time on Christ the King Sunday, November 23, of that year. The two newest bells, the smallest and the largest, were given by an anonymous benefactor and were rung for the first time on Christ the King Sunday in 2005, which was the congregation’s sixtieth anniversary. Read more. . .
The Church Ship, The Superb
The ship suspended from the ceiling on the west side of the nave was given by Al and Bridget Jensen. For centuries ships have been a universally accepted symbol for the Church and models, such as the one in our nave, were hung in church buildings. Read more. . .
The Courtyard Fountain
The courtyard fountain was dedicated on the festival of the Transfiguration of Our Lord, Sunday, March 6, 2011 in the courtyard. It was given by family and friends in memory of Fred Lueckemeyer. The chairs around the fountain were given by Mel and Sharon Ostwald in memory of their daughter Tanya. The surrounding landscaping of the courtyard was given in memory of Faith Venverloh by her family.
Return to top.
The bronze Invictus (Latin for Unconquered) depicts the imprint of a rising and ascending Christ figure. The sculpture was a gift from Severin Knutson, one of the charter members of the congregation. It was unveiled at midnight during the Easter Vigil service on April 18, 1992. Read more . . .
The columbarium is located in the new Meditation Garden on the south side of the church. The meditation Garden and columbarium were dedicated on All Saints Sunday on November 6, 2016. There will be 288 niches on the south wall of the columbarium.